|Agua Mala's IPA|
Astillero IPA is brewed in Baja at Cerveceria Agua Mala (bad water) by Nathaniel Schmidt and his business partner Thomas Fernandez. Only in business for a couple years they are already producing 10 different styles of beers.
But to my point, this is one of those cases where I'm having a hard time pinpointing a specific quality to this late hopped beer that just doesn't land well with me. As an attempt at a solution I decided to take a different approach. To name what this beer isn't may be a better way to convey my thoughts.
- it doesn't have a clean specific malt or hop profile
- the mouthfeel isn't crisp or sharp
- it lacks the roundness of a mature beer
- it isn't clear but hazy and opaque
- there's no balance between the malt and hop flavor
- the hop bitterness is high and doesn't support but hides the caramel qualities of the crystal malts
- it isn't a smooth bitterness
- it isn't easy to drink
I think Agua Mala is on the right track and I look forward to trying some of the other beers they have to offer but I think that they need to put some years of experience behind there humble beginnings to reach the level of quality IPA's that are available these days.
Drinking an Agua Mala at The Beer Co. San Miguel.