Friday, August 15, 2014

Belgian Tripel Con Limon?

a quick wikipedia scan gives some clues of the origin of the doctoring of mx. light beer. Evidently it dates back to the 40's where at the prestigous club Deportivo Potosino lime, salt and ice were added. But, no reference as to why? I imagine that the light beers in the 40's were probably much better and more flavorful than they are today but who can say for sure. Could have been crap back then too. My beer ice or "mi chela helada". An alternate theory that predates the wiki proposal: Brought to you by Don Roberto' michelada mix website states - The “Michelada” was first created in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution of 1910. As legend has it, the infamous military leader El General, Don Augusto Michel, would lead his battle hardened soldiers to his favorite cantina in San Luis Potosi to enjoy Mexican beer with lime and added hot sauce for character. Who's to say they aren't both correct or fictitious and really who's to care? Is there a defense for the homogonized light mexican lager? First I want to say that I'm not angry about this, not even irritated but I was surprised because I naievly believed that a Canadian would have know better. talk about the advertising campaign that so effectively convinced the masses that a lime in the beer leads to a better experience. Is it rote behavior now? Is the flavor improved or is the experience improved by acting out the scene of the lime in the bottle? Pavlov's dogs literally lapping up the suggestion of a better beer drinking/life experience by playing the part? Do you have to be a craft beer drinker to see through the thin veil of promotional trickery? There's nothing wrong with playing the part. I can understand how it may enhance the experience of a scene on the mx. beach. I've been there myself. I don't doctor it. If i'm going to drink swill I think of it as taking my medicine- I'm willing to drink it, I should suffer for it! That's my penalty. Don't squeeze lime in my tripel the history of the michelada chela tu chev etc. why add flavors - because there is not flavor otherwise? when left with no options for flavorful beer you need to doctor it up because this the mindset, don't follow blindly. taste the beer, does it need augmentation? small breasts reference? maybe not. You appear to be canadian. what beers are you drinking up there that you don't know better? need a pic of a lime stuck in a chimay bottle (photoshop?) my relatives in Mi. putting salt in their light lagers Speculation: Would the Michelada have been developed if the flavor of the beer was substantial enough? tasted good enough, had enough flavor already, Are there other examples of this kind of treatment in other countries. What about syrup in the berliner weiss? Is this something that augments the flavor? Or does it mask it to be more paletable to the average consumer. I suggest the latter in this case but compared to the michelada it's a remedy from the polar oposite. different seasoning by region, rest., and families.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Beer Diary...