Thursday, June 14, 2012

Affligem Belgian Ales

I don't normally pimp myself out for reviews but I also don't rule out the opportunities for free beer either, especially when the beer is really good like this one.

Affligem Blond
Affligem's blond ale is a soft delicious beer with plenty of easy drinking qualities like fruitiness, and spice that work so well in Belgian styles of beer. A full rounded malt presence and low bitterness make for a very enjoyable drinking experience. But it is 7% abv. so that's something to keep in mind.

I received a promotional package in the mail that included a bottle of the blond(e), a shattered drinking glass (insert sad face and a bit of whimpering here) and a small yeast taster glass. I don't know if there's a name for the small yeast glass but it's tiny and cute and I doubt I'll ever use it for anything other than the video I made to show how to use it. My video (which you can see here) is nothing like the slick promo (featured at bottom of page) that came loaded on a real wood encased thumb drive. I just thought you'd like to see how your average homebrew guy would demonstrate it's use. And of course in my video, the awesome Affligem beer glass is missing. If you're reading this Affligem, it'd be real nice to get a replacement. In any case, to those that watch my version, feel free to give feed back on my smooth technique.


Also, I knew that there are only seven classified Trappist breweries (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren and Koningshoeven) but I didn't know that 'Abbey Ale' is also a certified designation and Affligem is one of only twenty two in the world?


Oh, and one other thing. Through a partnership with Draft Magazine and the Flanders Tourism Board, Affligem is hosting a contest with the hope of sharing the "perfect pouring ritual" experience with it's consumers and awarding 200 people with the yeast tray kit and one grand prize winner a trip for two to Belgium including a visit to the Affligem Brewery and the Belgian Beer Festival. Go to Draft Magazine to enter the contest.




Affligem - The Perfect Pouring Ritual


Remember, I'm still working to make the Beer School project a reality. Go here to find out more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Beer Diary...